Looking for insurance for your family or business? You have three main choices when it comes to how you purchase your policies. In the following article, we’ll break down these three options and provide you with advice on getting the best deals and service.
How to Purchase Insurance: 3 Options
Nearly all insurance policies are purchased in one of the following ways.
Buying insurance “direct” is basically synonymous with buying insurance online. Most insurance providers today offer their clients the opportunity to purchase their policies directly from their website. Sometimes, you can also phone the insurance provider and speak with a representative who can direct you to a policy that meets your needs.
- Independent Agent
Independent agents put a middleman between you and the insurance provider. And although most people think of a “middleman” as an unnecessary step in getting what you want as a consumer, an independent insurance agent as a middleman is essential. That’s because they provide you with excellent service, advice, and personalized advocacy when it comes to choosing optimal insurance policies for your personal life and/or business.
Independent agents work for a number of different insurance providers so that they can show you numerous price quotes from all of the leading insurance providers. From there, they’ll let you know which policy options are best for your lifestyle and/or business, and you’ll be able to purchase every single one of your needed insurance policies at once.
- Captive Agent
When you already know which insurance company you want to go with, a captive agent is a viable option. These agents work independently like independent agents, but they’re partnered with only a single insurance provider (for example, Farmers Insurance or American Family).
How to Obtain Optimal Rates and Service When Buying Insurance
As you can see, you’ve got several options to choose from when buying insurance. Still, only one option stands out above the rest, and that’s working with an independent agent.
Why are independent agents so indispensable? They are many reasons:
- Independent agents are local. Unlike shopping for insurance online, when you work with an independent agent, you’re able to actually meet with your agent in person.
- Independent agents work on your behalf. If you’ve ever been worried about a captive agent or an entire insurance company themselves only advocating on their own behalf and not working to get you the insurance you need, you’re not alone. But when you work with an independent agent, you know that all they want is for you to be satisfied with the insurance you’re purchasing. They’ll give you honest and direct advice about the best policies for you.
- Independent agents will stick by your side. Not happy with rising rates on one of your plans? No problem. You can simply cancel that policy without having to leave your agent.
- Independent agents give you choices. No other purchasing route gives you the options that an independent agent does. You’ll be able to see quotes from a range of insurance providers.
- Independent agents offer the best value. Lastly, and most importantly, you’re always going to get the best value when you choose to work with an independent agent — and yes, it’s even a better value after you factor in their commission.
Heinen Insurance is an experienced independent insurance agency. If you already work with an independent agent, be sure and tell your family and friends about the value we can provide. If not, please feel free to call Heinen Insurance or stop in to speak with one of our experienced and friendly agents today.