Let me tell ya ’bout the birds and the bees
And the flowers and the trees
And the moon up above
And a thing called . . .
Insurance? That’s right. When you start talking about nature, we start talking about insurance. Why? Two reasons:
- We are an insurance agency after all!
- More importantly, we know that summer recreation introduces different risks. Your memories of the summer should be about family and fun, not financial hardship.
Sheboygan is right smack dab in the center of the great outdoors. Many of our clients enjoy tent and RV camping, boating, and fishing. And we know that sometimes, despite precautions, accidents, storms, and other unwelcome events interrupt the fun. With some forethought and appropriate insurance, however, at least you will cushion the financial loss when tough times happen.
Insurance is designed to address loss from a couple of sectors:
- Liability coverage reimburses a portion of your obligation to pay for damages you cause to another or to another’s property. Maybe your son a/k/a fisherman-in-training practiced casting his line outside the cabin and caught his pal instead of a perch? Emergency room trips are pricey.
- Collision coverage addresses financial expense resulting from hitting something. Perhaps you should have cut the motor prior to hitting the dock?
- Comprehensive coverage comes into play when you suffer a loss from non-collision events, such as fire, theft, or severe weather. Did your campfire get out of hand?
In addition to these three main types, many companies offer others, such as roadside assistance, towing, and underinsured and uninsured coverage. You can change a tire on your car, but what about on your RV? Not so easy. Walking to the nearest gas station when your car runs out of gas is one thing; swimming for gas after your boat conks out is another challenge entirely.
Often your existing auto and homeowners policies provide some protection. For example, most homeowners policies cover your belongings when you are traveling. You should, however, check with one of our agents to make sure you are covered and covered to the extent necessary. The replacement cost of property that took years to accumulate could be overwhelming. How much would new golf clubs, bikes, paddles, tent, backpack, and water skis set you back?
If you own a camper trailer or tow a boat or ATV, you may have liability coverage if you have an accident on the road, but what about an accident at the campsite or on the water? Check with a knowledgeable agent.
The insurance agents at Jerry Heinen & Associates have years of experience advising clients how to protect themselves financially from summer recreation risks. Let us know how you like to spend your vacation. We will review your policies and make sure you have adequate insurance.
Give us a call 920-458-9724. Better yet, stop by our office, conveniently located at 1601 N. 8th Street, Sheboygan, Wisconsin 53081. Summer is short in Wisconsin. Get out and enjoy the glorious weather. Next winter enjoy the memories, not the bills from uninsured losses.